Check out our suggested itineraries to help you make the most of your visit. Whether you have an hour to spare or you're visiting Auld Reekie for a whole weekend, we have some great suggestions for you.
Just tell us how long you have to spare in Edinburgh and let us be your guide...
2 days in Edinburgh
If you have two days to explore Edinburgh we recommend The Royal Edinburgh Ticket, which includes entry to Edinburgh Castle, Palace of Holyroodhouse and Royal Yacht Britannia as well as 48 hours unlimited travel on 3 City Tours... Alternatively, spend your second day discovering Edinburgh's Forth Bridges with 3 Bridges bus and boat tour and the Grand 48+ ticket.
48 hours on our 3 City Tours
Guaranteed entry to 3 royal attractions
The Royal Yacht Britannia
Palace of Holyroodhouse
- Begin your adventure with The Royal Edinburgh Ticket on board an Edinburgh Tour to explore Edinburgh’s Old and New Towns with a live Guide.
- Once back at Waterloo Place, switch to a CitySightseeing Edinburgh tour and hop off at the Lawnmarket for Edinburgh Castle - make sure you've booked your time slot with our ticket sellers.
- Take your time discovering Edinburgh Castle and the fabulous views from Castle Rock. Look out for highlights including the Great Hall and St Margaret’s Chapel. If you’re there at lunchtime, listen out for the One o’clock Gun.
- Hop back on board a CitySightseeing Edinburgh tour and immerse yourself in the historic Old Town.
- Head down to Our Dynamic Earth and alight here. Either buy a discounted ticket for entry from your driver if you wish to go in, or take the time to explore Holyrood Park.
- Walk across to the Palace of Holyroodhouse and explore The King's official residence in Scotland. Look out for highlights including the State Apartments, Historic Apartments and Holyrood Abbey.
1 day in edinburgh
If you have a whole day to explore we recommend you buy a Grand 24 ticket, giving you unlimited travel for 24 hours on Majestic Tour, Edinburgh Tour and CitySightseeing Edinburgh. With access to these 3 City Tours you can discover...
Make a day of it exploring with Edinburgh Bus Tours - you’ll see the city, enjoy unbeatable views from the top deck and have plenty of opportunity to sample a range of Edinburgh’s foodie delights.
- Breakfast in the Old Town. Set off on board a green Edinburgh Tour from Waterloo Place. Take in panoramic views of the Old Town from Regent Road while listening to a specially trained guide in English before hopping off on the Canongate to discover a range of artisan bakeries. There you’ll discover some great options for breakfast/ brunch with all the atmosphere and charm of the Old Town. For coffee drinkers, the standards are high so this is a good area to get your morning fix. Plus there are plenty of good shops should you wish to take an authentic Scottish foodie treat home
- Lunch in the Grassmarket. Hop back on board an Edinburgh Tour and let us show you the rest of the Old Town while hearing all about it from your guide, including the infamous Grassmarket where Edinburgh’s public hangings took place. Don’t let its historical reputation put you off; if you’re looking to hop off for lunch there are some fantastic pubs and cafes offering a range of Scottish and international cuisine.
- Fresh seafood on Edinburgh’s Coast Line. For seafood lovers we recommend joining a Majestic Tour that heads to Edinburgh’s coastline. Hop off for a coffee in Canonmills where you can choose from a range of locally run venues, and/ or hop off at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh for a stroll. Hop back on board a Majestic Tour and discover Newhaven. Hear about its fishing history with our multi-lingual commentary and hop off to discover some of the freshest seafood in the city. Next along the coast is Leith - home to some of Edinburgh’s most highly acclaimed Michelin Star restaurants so is a great option for fans of fine dining. As well as restaurants, Leith offers a wealth of good cafes and bars. If you decide to make an evening of it and miss the last Majestic Tour back to the city centre, Lothian Buses will bring you back on board a service 11 or 34 bus.
- Some of the best deals in town. For those who wish to sample Edinburgh’s food and drink without breaking the bank, check out our list of exclusive discounts that Edinburgh Bus Tours ticket holders can access.
Half a day in edinburgh
If you have a spare morning we recommend you purchase a Grand 24 ticket. With access to all 3 City Tours you can...
- Hear tales of Edinburgh’s Old Town from an expert Guide on board an Edinburgh Tour. Hop off at the Lawnmarket for incredible views from the Castle’s Esplanade.
- Hop on board CitySightseeing Edinburgh at the Lawnmarket and visit the National Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street before enjoying a different view of the Canongate.
- Take the time to explore Holyrood Park from the bus stop at Our Dynamic Earth. Let a CitySightseeing Edinburgh tour pick you up from Our Dynamic Earth before showing you the stunning panoramic view of Edinburgh's Old Town from Regent Road.
- Hop off at St Andrew Square and head to the Mound for a look at the Scottish National Gallery and to explore Princes Street Gardens.
On board our CitySightseeing Edinburgh tour, you can hear about Edinburgh in nine languages, and your children will love our Horrible Histories commentary by Terry Deary.